Working in the security industry makes your job more responsible. Only dedicated personnel who care for the society and people in addition to entering into the noble career can work as a security guard. The career scope for the Maryland security professionals is very high in the security industry. You can expect a decent salary with growth in your position or role. However, a licensed security guard in Maryland has more opportunities of employment than a non-licensed candidate. This emphasizes the need for obtaining a valid md security guard license.
Who is a Security Guard? What are his Roles?
On deciding to find security jobs in Maryland, you must primarily know about the roles and responsibility of a security guard in the state. In this aspect, here follows information for you;
- Security guard works on behalf of a security agency and has the prominent role to protect people and company property, where you are employed
- Patrol premises to guard against intrusions and theft
- Alert authorities in case of emergency situation and more.
The security industry is experiencing about 15% of growth per annum, which stresses on the point that the job opportunities and career growth for security guards are high.
On an average, a licensed security guard can expect about $28,000 as annual income.
Who can become a Security Guard in Maryland?
Applicant must meet certain standards and regulations set by the state police. You must primarily qualify for the Maryland security guard certification, which emphasizes meeting certain criteria and they include;
- Applicant must be currently employed with a licensed security agency
- Must not have committed felony / fraudulent / misdemeanor
- Must be physically fit
- Must have good communication skills
- Must submit fingerprint background check
- Must have good moral character
In addition to these qualifications, you must also meet other basic security guard training Maryland requirements, which include;
- You must be the citizen of the USA and resident of Maryland
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- You must submit drug test
- Must have higher school diploma or equivalent certification
- Must have a valid driver’s license
Curriculum for Security Guard Training in Maryland
Maryland security guard license training includes the following curriculum;
- Basic Firearms Certification
- Security Entry Level Training
- Security Advanced Level Training
- Security Supervisor Training and Certification
- Certification in Security and Private Detective
- Personal and Executive Protective Specialist Certification
- Security Comparative Compliance Certification
- CPR and First Aid Certification
- Security Enhanced and Advanced Instructor Certification
- Individual Defensive Tactics Instructor Certification
- Annual and Continuing Education
- Tactical Baton Certification
- Hospitality and Conflict Resolution
- GSA Security Guard Certification
Applying for Maryland security license?
- Applications must be electronically completed on PDF form to submit to the Security Guard Unit
- All questions must be honestly filled
- It takes about 90 days for your application process
- Application also requires CJIS and FBI fingerprint submissions
- Applicant must provide 2 photographs -2”x2” with light background
- Applicant must also undergo the training program set by the state
- Mail the application to Licensing Division
Mail your filled application to:
Maryland State Police
1111 Reisterstown Road, Pikesville, MD 21208
Attn.: Security Guard Unit
To get more information about security guard in Maryland, visit: https://www.mdsp.org/Organization/SupportServicesBureau/LicensingDivision/MainLicensingPage.aspx